VU Amsterdam Fellowship Program for International Students
Do you wish to study abroad? Here’s another excellent scholarship on offer to international students seeking to further their studies in Europe. However, this is a good opportunity for you if you have been dreaming of studying in the Netherlands on a scholarship. Applications for the VU Amsterdam Fellowship Program are currently open to international students who wish to do their master’s degree program in the Netherlands.
The VU Amsterdam Fellowship Program (VUFP) offers excellent prospective non-EU/ EEA students the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. However, continue reading to learn more about this exciting scholarship program.
Meanwhile, this article will provide detailed information about the VU Fellowship Program (VUFP). From scholarship benefits to eligibility requirements, how to apply, and any other important information about the scholarship program.
About the VU Amsterdam Fellowship Program (VUFP)
The VU Fellowship Program (VUFP) offers talented prospective non-EU/ EEA students the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. VU Amsterdam has committed to providing approximately 1 million euros towards attracting highly motivated and excellent students.
Moreover, the VUFP scholarship can be granted for a one-year Master’s program. The scholarship will only be extended for the second year of a two-year Master’s program if 100% of the ECTS of the first year has been achieved. However, students already enrolled in a two-year Master’s program who have not been awarded the VUFP scholarship in 2021/2022 are not eligible to apply for the VUFP scholarship for 2022/2023.
However, the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU or VU Amsterdam) is a public research university in Amsterdam, Netherlands, founded in 1880. The university consistently ranks among the top 150 universities worldwide by significant ranking tables. The VU is also one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city, the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
Furthermore, here’s a overview of the VU Fellowship Program:
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, in the Netherlands
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, in the Netherlands
Partial funding (tuition fees)
Scholarship/ Study Level:
Level of Study:
English-taught Master’s Degree Programs offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam in the Netherlands
See the scholarship benefits section below for details
Number of Awards:
Non-EU/ EEA nationals
1st December/ 1st February 2023 (annual)
Moreover, the fellowship program provides the recipients with the following inclusions:
The VUFP scholarship covers the tuition fees only. It does not offer any additional allowance towards study or living costs, such as rent, food, or insurance. Therefore, you must be able to finance these living expenses by yourself.
Furthermore, when applying for the VU Fellowship program, you automatically apply for the HSP. No separate application is necessary. The Holland Scholarship Program (HSP) is a contribution towards the costs of living. It is 5.000 EUR or 10.000 EUR for the entire duration of your study period. However, note the following:
- The HSP scholarship is awarded only for the first year of your study program. You will not receive the HSP scholarship for the second year of your studies even if you are following a two-year program.
- There are only around 20- 25 HSP scholarships available. That is to say; only a few VUFP awardees will get the HSP scholarship.
Eligibility Requirements for the VU Amsterdam Fellowship Program (VUFP)
Moreover, you must meet the following criteria below to be eligible for the VUFP:
- You hold a non-EU/ EEA passport and are not eligible for the lower tuition fee.
- You do not have Dutch nationality.
- Also, you will have to prove your academic excellence (GPA equivalent to a Dutch 8)
- You have a conditional or unconditional admission offer to study a full-time English-taught Master’s program at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam starting in September 2022. Please note that students starting in February cannot apply, and joint programs where VU Amsterdam doe not administer the admission process are also excluded from VUFP.
- The degree you are seeking admission has not been obtained in the Netherlands.
- You do not need to complete a preparatory program before the start of your Master’s.
How to Apply
Moreover, follow the step-by-step guidelines below to apply for the VUFP:
However, note that you must have already received a conditional admission offer to the Master’s program before applying for the VUFP scholarship.
- Firstly, you must register for a master’s program starting 1st September 2023. You can register for a master’s program via Studielink, and after that, it will redirect to your dashboard on vu.nl.
- Secondly, you submit the VUFP application. You can submit your VUFP application in your dashboard. However, the application deadline is 1st February 2022 (23:59 CET). Moreover, you will need two documents for your VUFP application. They are as follows:
- Proof of excellence (program transcript or a GPA proof)
- Grading scale
- You will have to upload the transcript and grading scale of your Bachelor’s degree with a clear explanation of the GPA calculation.
Furthermore, in addition to the eligibility requirements and application instructions, please note the following:
You can only apply once. Therefore, double-check if your application is complete and sufficient before submitting it. You will not be allowed to submit for the second time.
Moreover, after submitting your VUFP application, you wait for a decision on your application. The Central VUFP Committee decides which students that will receive a VUFP scholarship. The results will be based on academic performance and motivation. However, all students will receive an e-mail/ notification informing them of the Central Scholarship Committee’s decision concerning their application.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more detailed information on the requirements and application instructions for the fellowship program. This is because information may change at any moment without notice.