Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program 2022 in Canada for International Students
Another amazing scholarship on offer to international students seeking to pursue their academic studies abroad. This is a great opportunity for you if you have been dreaming of studying in Canada on a scholarship. Applications for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are currently open to international students who wish to pursue their postgraduate studies in Canada.
Moreover, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is a fully-funded scholarship for international students to pursue their postgraduate studies at a Canadian University of their preference. Offering the successful candidates a scholarship worth $70,000 for the duration of two years. However, in this article, we will provide information in detail about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, its eligibility requirements, scholarship benefits, how to apply, and any other important information pertaining to the fellowship program.
About The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is administered by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat on behalf of Canada’s three granting agencies; the Secretariat is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). The Secretariat is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Banting program and provides administrative support to the selection committees responsible for application review, in collaboration with the selection committee Chairs.
However, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is the administering agency of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program and is responsible for the payment of awards in accordance with the policies and regulations in the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide.
Also, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social, and research-based growth. However, the objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally, develop their leadership potential, and position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
Moreover, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is one of a suite of elite federal research capacity development programs. The suite begins with early graduate student support through Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, progresses to postdoctoral training through the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, and continues through the academic career progression (Tier 1 and 2 Canada Research Chairs) to a career pinnacle with the Canada Excellence Research Chairs, and announced in 2014, the Canada First Research Excellence Fund.
Together, these programs are intended to increase the supply of highly-qualified research personnel in Canada and brand Canada worldwide as a nation known for quality research and research training. They complement other training vehicles, including postdoctoral fellowship programs supported by the three federal granting agencies (Canadian Institutes of Health Research – CIHR, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada – NSERC, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada – SSHRC).
Furthermore, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program allows highly motivated and competitive researchers to realize their full potential and develop their careers. Upon completion of their fellowships, Banting fellows will be well-positioned to contribute to the continued growth of Canada’s research capacity and the country’s economic and social prosperity.
Read Also: Fully Funded Facebook Fellowship Program 2022 for Ph.D. Students
Moreover, here’s an overview of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program
Canadian Universities or Colleges that are eligible to host a Banting Postdoctoral researcher
Full funding scholarships
Scholarship/ Study Level:
Field(s) of Study:
Natural sciences and/or engineering
Social sciences and/or humanities
Scholarship Worth or Value:
$70,000 per year, see scholarship benefits in the section below for more details
Number of Awards:
70 fellowships are awarded each year
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply
2 years (non-renewable)
Application submission deadline:
22 September 2021 (20:00 EDT)
Scholarship Benefits or Inclusions
Furthermore, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides the recipients with the following inclusions.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research. Although, Banting postdoctoral researchers may travel and conduct field research; however, they must continue to be based at their host institution.
Check Also: Fully Funded Gates Cambridge Scholarships 2022 in the UK for International Students
Eligibility Requirements for The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
However, you must meet the following criteria below in order to be eligible for the Fellowships program. They include:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, as long as they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Moreover, applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants to the 2021-22 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or already have fulfilled all degree requirements for a Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2018, and September 30, 2022 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
However, note that applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2022. For applicants who have completed more than one Ph.D., PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
Click here for more details on the eligibility requirements for the Fellowships program.
How to Apply for The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
Moreover, follow the step-by-step guidelines below to apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. Ensure that you prepare the documentation requirements before application. Individual application documents can be submitted in either English or French. However, the application guidelines are as follows:
- Firstly, you will need to confirm that you meet all the eligibility criteria for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. Otherwise, your application will be denied.
- Secondly, Applicants must contact institutions/supervisors that they think will be a good fit for them and their research and confirm that the desired institution is eligible to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher. For those hoping to be hosted at a Canadian institution, please see the Universities Canada website for a list of Canadian academic institutions and their research areas.
- However, applications must be complete in full collaboration with the potential host institution.
- Applicants will need an endorsement from the institution’s president (equivalent or designated).
- Applicants are responsible for supplying their proposed institution and referees with the documents necessary for them to write their respective letters. ResearchNet does not grant the referees or host institutions access to view the application or its attachments.
- Moreover, from the outset of the application process, applicants and their host institution should discuss:
- the details of the fellowship appointment
- any benefits offered to the Banting postdoctoral researcher
- any financial obligations associated with the appointment (union dues, insurance premiums, etc.)
- the availability of any research and/or other support
- the rights and responsibilities of postdoctoral researchers
- any other institution-specific policies that might apply to a Banting postdoctoral researcher
- the details of the fellowship appointment
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Thirdly, you will have to register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) and ResearchNet accounts.
- Then, the next step will be to create a CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to the ResearchNet application.
- Start a ResearchNet application
- Identify your area of research
- Identify participants. You will need to enter information about yourself and the institution you are with at the time of application.
- Then, you will also need to identify referees
- Enter degree information ( information on our Ph.D., PhD-equivalent or health professional degree)
- Enter proposal information and supporting documents
- Then you preview the application materials
- Consent and submit the application
- Also, ensure that attached documents meet presentation standard
However, click here for more detailed information on the application guidelines for this fellowship program.
Moreover, in addition to the application instructions, note that applications must be prepared and submitted by applicants. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete. This includes ensuring that you submit all host institution documents and referee assessments.
Also, it is important to review the eligibility requirements and application instructions for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships on their official website before applying for the fellowship program.
Read Also: International Scholars Program at The University of British Columbia / Undergraduate Scholarships in Canada for International Students
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more details on the requirements and application instructions on the Fellowship program. This is because information may change or get an update at any moment without notice.
Comments are closed.