Fully Funded Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2022/ International Scholarships in Canada for Graduate and Postgraduate Studies
Another amazing scholarship on offer to international studies looking to pursue their academic studies abroad. This is a very great opportunity if you have been dreaming of studying in an educational institution in Canada. Applications for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (simply known as Vanier CGS) are currently open to international students seeking to pursue their postgraduate studies in the country.
However, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are open to both international and Canadian students. The scholarships program awards students who are highly motivated and competitive in terms of academic excellence, research potential, and leadership. Therefore, in this article, we provide information in detail about the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, eligibility requirements, scholarship benefits, how to apply, and any other important information pertaining to the scholarship program.
About The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was launched in 2008, by the Government of Canada. The scholarship program was named after Major-General Georges P. Vanier, the first francophone Governor General of Canada. However, the Vanier CGS was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by offering them a significant financial award to assist them during their studies at Canadian universities. With the aim of establishing Canada as a global center of excellence in research higher learning.
Moreover, Vanier Scholars are known to demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related fields.
Furthermore, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are administered and candidates selected by Canada’s three federal research granting agencies — the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC]) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
Read Also: University of Lausanne Master’s Grants 2022/ International Scholarships in Switzerland
Moreover, here’s an overview of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
Government of Canada
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS quota to host the scholars
Full funding scholarships
Field(s) of Study:
Ph.D. programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in the following:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and humanities
Number of Awards:
Up to 166 scholarships annually
Scholarship Value or Worth:
Scholarship recipients receive $50,000. See scholarship benefits in the next section in this article for more details.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, foreign citizens of any country across the globe can be eligible for a Vanier CGS nomination.
Three years of postgraduate studies
Scholarship Benefits or Inclusions
Furthermore, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships provides the recipients with the following inclusions:
- The scholarship amount value for the Vanier CGS is at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies
Check Also: Harvard Business School (HBS) Online Courses in USA
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility Requirements
However, you must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the Vanier CGS. They are as follows:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a joint degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; For joint graduate research program, only the PhD portion of a joint graduate research program is eligible for funding.
- have completed no more than 20 months of full-time study in their doctoral program as of May 1, 2022;
- have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program (i.e. joint graduate research program, fast-track, accelerated), by May 1, 2022 if:
- enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD. Applicants in this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program
- accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (not previously enrolled in a Master’s program);
- accelerated (Fast-track) from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
International Scholarships in Canada for Graduate and Postgraduate Studies
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
However, click here for more details on the eligibility requirements for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
How to Apply for The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Moreover, follow the step by step guidelines below to apply for the Vanier CGS. However, candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program. They must be nominated by a Canadian University with a Vanier CGS quota at which they prefer to study. Therefore, you will have to consult the Vanier CGS quota page in order to ensure that your institution of interest has a quota for the year in which you are applying.
Furthermore, applications for this scholarship program can commence in one of two ways. Either the university initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate or the interested candidate contact the nominating department at the Canadian University and complete the Intent to Apply form.
However, the institution will notify the candidate upon selection of their application for nomination. Then, follow these steps below if the nominating department agrees to endorse the application.
International Scholarships in Canada for Graduate and Postgraduate Studies
- Complete and submit your application using the ResearchNet application system. Ensure to read the instructions carefully at the beginning of the application. However, it is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete, including referee assessments.
- Moreover, some of the documentation requirements for the application includes the following:
- A Researchnet application form
- Academic transcripts
- Two letters of reference
- A common Curriculum Vitae and more
- Then, the nominating institution forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by November 2, 2021 (20:00 Eastern Time).
- The Secretariat coordinates the review process.
- The Secretariat presents the recommendations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee.
- The TAP Steering Committee endorses and approves final decisions for the Vanier CGS program.
- Nominated candidates are notified of the competition results in April 2022.
However, please visit the official website of the Vanier CGS using the link at the end of this article for more details on the eligibility requirements and application instructions on the scholarships.
Read Also: Study in Canada for International Students: A complete guide to Scholarships, top Universities/Colleges, Courses, Fees
In addition to the application process, since the candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program. Ensure to verify the deadline with the coordinator at the nominating department at the institution.
Also, a Vanier CGS may be held by students who register part-time because of a disability or family responsibilities. For eligible part-time students, the Vanier CGS will be equivalent to full-time funding spread over a longer period of time.
Moreover, in terms of eligibility of program of study. An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-review at the institutional level as requirement for a completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
Furthermore, note that ResearchNet will only allow the creation of one application per applicant. Applicants should only seek a nomination from the institution at which they want to study and we recommend they should discuss their decision with the nominating institution before they submit the application through ResearchNet.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for further information on the requirements and application instructions on the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. As information may change or get an update at any moment without notice.
Comments are closed.