KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships Program 2023/24
Are you an international student looking to further your academic studies abroad? KU Leuven is pleased to announce that exceptional scholars from institutions in the Global South apply for the KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships 2023/24 aimed at supporting the ideal candidate to conduct four years of Ph.D. research.
Moreover, the scholarships are offered for excellent proposals that deal with a development-relevant research topic, preferably linked to one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals.
However, this article will provide detailed information on everything you need to know about the Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships 2023/2024. From eligibility requirements to scholarship benefits, application instructions, and other important information about the scholarship program at KU Leuven.
About the KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships
As one of its contributions to Global Development, every academic year, KU Leuven selects exceptional students from institutions in the Global South as scholarship candidates to obtain their Ph.D. from the largest university in Belgium. The KU Leuven Global Minds Program is managed by IRO, the university’s Interfaculty Council for Global Development.
The aim is to allow scholars to conduct four years of Ph.D. research in a ‘sandwich’ system, which means that a maximum of 50% of the research is financed by and takes place at KU Leuven. At least 50% takes place and is financed by the home institution of the scholar, supported by a local co-promoter. Therefore, as partners, KU Leuven and the home institution co-finance the research.
However, KU Leuven also offers a supervision allowance to the local co-promotor at the home institution and the promotor at KU Leuven.
About the KU Leuven
The Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (or KU Leuven) is a Catholic research university in Leuven, Belgium. It conducts teaching, research, and services in computer science, engineering, natural sciences, theology, humanities, medicine, law, canon law, business, and social sciences.
Moreover, the KU Leuven was founded in 1425. it has been a center of learning for almost six centuries. Today, it is Belgium’s highest-ranked university and one of the oldest and most renowned universities in Europe. KU Leuven is an institution for research and education with international appeal. All programs at this University are based on the innovative research of its scientists and professors.
As a leading European research university and co-founder of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), KU Leuven offers various research-based English study programs. These programs are supported by high-quality, interdisciplinary research at the university and internationally acclaimed hospitals.
However, a degree from KU Leuven is highly valued worldwide, giving you a competitive edge. The ECTS quality label guarantees that all credits obtained at KU Leuven are fully transferable. Furthermore, KU Leuven is consistently ranked among the top 100 universities globally. KU Leuven is one of the top Public universities in Leuven, Belgium. It is ranked #=70 in QS Global World Rankings 2022.
Moreover, here’s an overview of the Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships at KU Leuven:
KU Leuven, Belgium
KU Leuven and your Home Institution
Full funding scholarships
Postgraduate (Ph.D. degree)
Field(s) of Study:
Ph.D. Research Degree in development-related topics
See the scholarship benefits section below for details
Number of Awards:
International students who are citizens of one of the countries included in the scholarship country list:
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, D.R. Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa
- Asia: Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
- Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru
9th March 2023 (annual)
Furthermore, KU Leuven provides the Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships recipients with the following inclusions:
- Full tuition fee waiver
- Monthly allowance – 100% of the net salary of an assistant (approx.. 2199 euros/ month)
- Travel costs – four return tickets in economy class.
- Belgian social security coverage
- Health, professional, and accident insurance
- And also research allowance
Eligibility Requirements for the KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships
However, you must meet the following criteria below to be eligible to apply for the GM Doctoral Scholarship program at KU Leuven:
- The applicant must be a citizen of one of the countries included in the scholarship country list.
- Candidates who have citizenship in the EU will not be selected. The same applies to applicants with a long-term EU residence permit.
- The candidate’s latest Master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years before 1 October 2023 (including the ongoing calendar year).
- The candidate must have been awarded an academic grade equivalent to a High Distinction or higher. Degrees obtained with a final score equivalent to second class second/lower division will not be considered.
- Also, the research project must be of excellent academic quality, with a particular focus on the development relevance of the proposal.
- The candidate must be formally affiliated with a university in the home country.
- Moreover, the candidates must:
- Demonstrate a development-oriented motivation.
- Be supported by a KU Leuven promoter.
- Be supported by a local co-promoter at his/her home university.
- Also, demonstrate excellent recommendations from at least two relevant referees.
However, you can read the whole eligibility criteria via this link.
How to Apply
Furthermore, you can follow the step-by-step application guide below to apply for the GM Doctoral Scholarships at KU Leuven:
However, there are two steps in the application procedure:
- Firstly, the candidate should obtain admission to a doctoral or predoctoral program. Please follow the online application instructions accurately. Moreover, ensure to obtain admission early.
- Secondly, once this admission has been obtained, the candidate can apply for the KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarship. The deadline is 9th March 2023 at 05.00 PM GMT. Applications are submitted using the digital application form, which are to be filled out by the promoter.
Moreover, the following are required for the scholarship application:
- Candidate’s CV, utilizing the Europass format
- Candidate’s bibliography, utilizing this form
- Local co-promoter’s CV
- Research proposal (6 pages at the most)
- Motivation letter (3 pages at the most)
- Also, two recommendation letters by external, relevant referees (not by your promoter or local co-promoter).
Furthermore, it is essential to read the application procedure and visit the official website for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
In addition, note that candidates who are already enrolled as PhD-students at KU Leuven and who are financed by KU Leuven are not eligible for this program.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more details on the eligibility requirements and application instructions for the Global Minds Doctoral Scholarships at KU Leuven.