Romanian Government Scholarships for Foreign Citizens
Are you interested in pursuing your academic studies abroad? Here’s a fantastic scholarship on offer to international students who wish to study in Romania on a full scholarship. Applications for the Romanian Government Scholarships program 2023/24 are now open to foreign students seeking to enroll in undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Romania.
The Romanian Government Scholarships are fully funded study opportunities available to outstanding foreign students from around the globe (except to EU member countries) for undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. studies in Romania. Continue reading to learn more about this exciting scholarship.
Meanwhile, this article will explain the Romanian Government Scholarships program, the eligibility requirements, scholarship benefits, a step-by-step application guide, and any other important information you need to know about the scholarship program.
About the Romanian Government Scholarships
Each year, the Romanian Government provides several scholarships to citizens from non-EU countries through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Only candidates with good education results, respectively an average of the study years, for the last graduated school, of at least 7 (seven) corresponding to the scoring system in Romania or the “Good” score, as the case, are eligible.
The scholarships are offered to foreign citizens from non-European Union countries for undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Applicants may select their study program of interest in all fields except medicine, Dental Medicine, and Pharmacy. For Bachelor’s and Master, only study programs in the Romanian language are available, thus promoting the Romanian language and culture.
However, at the Ph.D. level, applicants can also opt for a program in English or a foreign language set by the doctoral school. A preparatory year in Romanian is also granted before enrolling in the study program of choice for those not speaking the Romanian language. The required documents include diplomas, transcripts, birth certificates, passports, and CVs – all described in the application process.
Moreover, here’s an overview of the Romanian Government Scholarships:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Government of Romania.
Selected institutions in Romania.
Fully funded scholarships
Level of Study:
Bachelor, Master’s, and Ph.D. study levels
Field(s) of Study:
Applicants may select their study program of interest in all fields except medicine, Dental Medicine, and Pharmacy. For Bachelor’s and Master, only study programs in the Romanian language are available, thus promoting the Romanian language and culture. However, at the Ph.D. level, applicants can also opt for a program in English or a foreign language set by the doctoral school.
See the scholarship benefits section below for details
Number of Awards:
International Students (non -EEA/EU).
The enrolment period began on December 20, 2021. Moreover, the deadline for submitting applications is March 1st, 2023.
Furthermore, the Romanian Government Scholarships program provides the scholarship recipients with the following inclusions:
The scholarship obtained, including the preparatory year where applicable, consists of the following:
- Financing tuition fees;
- financing the accommodation expenses in the dormitories, through the budget of the Ministry of Education, within the limit of the subsidy allocated for this purpose (accommodation will be provided to the extent of available places);
- also granting monthly financial aid, as follows: the equivalent in ”lei” (the Romanian currency) of the amount of 65 EURO for undergraduate and preparatory year students; the equivalent in ”lei” (the Romanian currency) of the amount of 75 EURO, for master students, the equivalent in ”lei” (the Romanian currency) of the amount of 85 EURO, for Ph.D. students.
Moreover, the scholarships do not cover the costs of international and domestic transport from the Romanian border crossing point to the university. In this regard, candidates must be prepared for the personal financial support of the additional costs.
Eligibility Requirements for Romanian Government Scholarships
However, applicants must meet the following criteria below to be eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
To be eligible, the scholarship applicant must:
- submit a complete file;
- present study documents issued by accredited/recognized educational institutions in the country where they were issued;
- comply with the enrolment deadline;
- have good results in education, respectively an average of the study years, for the last graduated school of at least 7 (seven) corresponding to the scoring system in Romania or the”Good” score, as the case;
- and also comply with the application submission methodology.
Note: The Romanian Government Scholarships are not awarded in medicine, dental, and pharmacy.
Nonetheless, the scholarship program is available to foreign citizens from all non-EU countries, with the following exceptions:
- citizens of Romanian origin or who are part of the Romanian historical communities in the proximity of Romania (entitled to different scholarship programs);
- citizens who have requested or acquired a form of protection in Romania;
stateless persons whose stay on the territory of Romania is officially recognized according to the law;
- members of the diplomatic and consular corps or family members of the diplomatic and consular corps accredited to Romania;
- members of the administrative and technical staff of diplomatic missions and consular offices accredited to Romania;
- staff members of international organizations based in Romania or family members of staff of international organizations based in Romania;
beneficiaries of a scholarship from the Romanian state for the same cycle of study
How to Apply for the Romanian Government Scholarships Program
Furthermore, you can follow the step-by-step guide below to apply for this scholarship program:
Firstly, you can submit the scholarship application only through the Study in Romania Platform. Candidates can access the platform at https://studyinromania.gov.ro through the application for MFA scholarships button or directly at https://scholarships.studyinromania.gov.ro. The platform can be accessed in English.
However, it is essential to visit the official website and read the instructions for more detailed information on the eligibility criteria and how to apply for this scholarship program.
Applications can be submitted between 15 December 2022 and 1 March 2023, with the selection results being announced on 15 July 2023. Additional formalities, such as obtaining a visa, will be required upon selection.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more details on the eligibility requirements and application instructions for the Romanian Government Scholarships.