Work Permit in Australia: Guidelines on How to Get a Work Permit in Australia
Are you a citizen of a foreign country seeking an employment opportunity in Australia? However, you will need to obtain a work permit in Australia that suits the work you intend to do in the country. Australia has a stable economy which has made the country a popular destination for skilled foreigners seeking employment opportunities in another country.
Australia offers a variety of work permit visas depending on your situation. There is a work permit in Australia for skilled workers, highly specialized workers, and more. Foreigners who are investors and experienced in business may qualify for Australia’s self-employment visa. Otherwise known as business talent visa if they meet the required criteria.
Moreover, obtaining some of the work permit visas in Australia can lead to temporary or permanent residency for an immigrant including eligible family members. However, in this article, we provide information in detail about work permits in Australia, their various types, eligibility requirements, how to apply, and other important information you need to know about work permits in Australia.
Understanding Work Permit in Australia
A work permit in Australia, otherwise known as a work visa is the authorization in form of an official document to take employment in the country as a citizen of a foreign country or immigrant. Every employee needs to obtain a work permit in Australia in order to work and live in the country legally.
Moreover, the commonwealth country offers work permit and employment-based visa for different types of professional and expert workers coming to stay in Australia for job-related purposes. Moreover, depending on if you have the skills and qualifications that the country deems to need. You can be invited to apply for a skilled work permit visa by the Australian Government using SkillSelect. Either nominated for a skilled work permit visa by a state or territory government or nominated for a skilled visa by an employer.
However, SkillSelect is an online system for the immigration of workers and trades or business people to Australia. It operation is overseen by the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection. It typically assists you to find and apply for a job in Australia.
Skilled workers and business people who have an interest in migrating to Australia can be considered for a skilled visa by submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. An EOI is an indication that you would like to be considered for a skilled visa. An EOI is not a visa application.
Work Permit in the USA: How to Apply and Qualify For Work Permit in USA
Types of Work Permit in Australia
However, Australia offers a variety of employment-based visas and work permits for different types of professional workers seeking to move to the country for job-related purposes. Here are some of the work visas for skilled workers:
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa: An Australian employer nominates a foreign skilled worker in order to live and work in the country.
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa: The employer nominates the skilled worker for this visa. It allows the foreigner to live and work permanently in regional Australia.
- Skilled Independent visa: This type of visa is for invited workers and citizens of New Zealand who have skills that the country deems to need to permanently live and work anywhere in the country.
- Skilled Nominated visa: Foreign skilled workers nominated by their employers to live and work as permanent residents in Australia.
- Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa: This allows a foreign worker to take short-term, highly specialized work in Australia.
- Temporary Skilled Shortage visa: This is issued when an employer nominates and sponsors a suitable foreign skilled worker for a temporary job in the country when an Australian resident is not available for the position.
- Skilled Regional (Professional) visa: This is a temporary visa for foreign skilled workers who want to live and work in regional Australia.
- Temporary Work (International Relations) visa: This is a temporary work permit in Australia for foreigners whose employment deems to improve the country’s international relations.
- Distinguished Talent visa: This is a permanent visa for foreigners with an international recognition record of outstanding achievement in their career or other certain areas.
- Business Talent (Permanent) visa: However, this type of visa is for establishing or developing a new or existing business in Australia.
Work Permit in Canada: Types of Work Permits and How to Apply
However, each work permit visa in Australia has its own requirements. Therefore, the eligibility requirement to qualify for a work permit in Australia depends on the circumstance and type of work visa you apply for. As an employee, you may have different visas depending on the type of work you do and how long you will work for your Australian employer.
Moreover, the ENS visa requires foreign employees to show that they have the skills necessary for the job through a skills assessment. Furthermore, the job must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations. Also, the work must be specifically nominated by an Australian employer.
However, the main eligibility requirements for a work permit in Australia include the following:
- A job offer from an employer whose company has a sponsorship agreement with the Australian Department of Home Affairs
- Demonstrate competent English. Applicants over the age of 18 will have to take IELTS Tests
- Applicants must be under the age of 45 years
- Must provide academic qualifications or degrees
- Complete medical exams and radiological
- Provide police clearance
- Provide a contract of employment
Study in Australia for International Students: Student Visa Australia and things to know before Studying in Australia
How to Apply for Work Permit in Australia
However, in terms of work permit visa application in Australia. There are two approaches or let’s say categories which are skilled visas and sponsored visas. If you are a skilled worker and your visa needs an official invitation to apply, you will have to submit an online Expression of Intent (EOI) on SkillSet.
Moreover, the SkillSet will receive and process applications from skilled candidates. They will receive points based on certain factors such as skills, age, education or qualification, English language proficiency, etc. If your application gets accepted. You will be nominated for a skilled visa by an Australian state or territory government or employer.
Furthermore, note that an Expression of Intent (EOI) is an indication that you would like to be considered for a skilled visa. An EOI is not a visa application. However, on the other hand, you can apply for most visas online on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website via ImmiAccount.
Sponsored visas require the Australian employer to sponsor the foreign worker for the work permit visa application. The employer must have approval by the Australian Department of Home Affairs as an eligible sponsor. Also, the employer will have a nomination transaction reference number (TRN) or employer ID for the foreign employee to start the online application.
Study in Canada for International Students: A complete guide to Scholarships, top Universities/Colleges, Courses, Fees
In conclusion, the aforementioned work visas in this article will allow you to bring eligible family members with you to Australia. You can do this by sponsoring them or applying for a subsequent entrance visa for them. Most but not all visas allow foreign employees to remain in Australia indefinitely by leading to permanent residency. Therefore, you will have to note that you may also need a permanent visa.
Moreover, having a permanent residency comes with certain benefits. These benefits include authorization to buy property, enrollment in the national health scheme, work in New Zealand, etc.