Verification: 7c860de3b222a547
Knowledge is a Basic Human Right


USA Jobs for Immigrants – Tips on How to Get Started Apply Now!

0 331

If you’re an immigrant and want to work in the United States, you may wonder how to get started with jobs there. Fortunately, there are multiple ways you can look into obtaining an employment visa that will allow you to do so. This guide on US jobs for immigrants will help you through the steps needed to obtain your first job in the United States and how to keep it once you’ve got it!

The United States may be one of the most iconic countries in the world, but it also happens to be one of the most inaccessible to immigrants looking to find work or start a new life. Unless you’re an American citizen or have had permanent residency for at least five years, you can’t get permission to work here unless your employer has petitioned and been granted permission by the US government.

USA Jobs for Immigrants – Overview

The United States of America is one of the countries that consistently creates job opportunities. There are several USA jobs for immigrants you can apply for to earn a living. The U.S. government has allowed new immigrants to earn a living as they settle down. If you’re from another country and thinking about coming to America, you will be curious about some of the best jobs for immigrants. Here’s a look at some of them.

First, let’s define immigrant; in the U.S., an immigrant is not a citizen or national of any other country but is legally permitted to live in the U.S., typically temporarily. Many paths can lead to becoming an immigrant—you could have been born outside of the U.S., moved here as a child, married into citizenship, or obtained legal status through your job. The United States has long been known as a destination for those seeking better opportunities than they had back home.

USA Jobs for Immigrants: Requirements

To apply for a job at USA Jobs, you must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident alien with unrestricted work authorization, says U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

How to Apply for a Job in the United States

Foreign nationals who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need a work visa, as well as a permit to work, officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), to work in the United States.

You can get a US visa through employment or family visa sponsorship or through other pathways, which we will discuss below. In most cases, you’ll need a job offer before you can start to apply for a US employment visa. Meanwhile, there are three ways to obtain a visa when relocating to and working in the US.


Generally, it would be best if you had a job offer before you could come to the U.S. to work. Unless you’re currently studying in the U.S., you must search for and apply for US jobs from your home country. Here are steps to follow to work in the US a job through sponsorship:

1. Apply for a job: First, you will apply for a US job from your home country. You will need a job offer before entering the United States to work. Start by creating an American-style resume and cover letter. This will demonstrate to the employer that you have researched how to get a job in the US and your ability to adapt to the new environment. Ensure you only include experience directly relevant to the position you are applying to. Also, specify your English language level.


2. Search for employers: Several job search websites are available such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Monster, etc. You can access it no matter where you currently live. Moreover, you can also contact a recruiting agency if you are an experienced professional. Employers usually schedule interviews online for candidates who live outside the US. Ensure that you prepare a few statements and rehearse before the interview.

Temporary Visa

A temporary visa, as the name sounds, is a type of visa that you need to renew regularly. You will need to have a job before applying for a temporary visa. Once you accept a job offer, you can follow these steps to get a temporary or non-immigrant visa.

  1. To begin with, your employer needs to file a petition on your behalf with USCIS if you’re not eligible to file on your yet.
  2. Then, it would be best to wait for USCIS to approve your employer’s petition before applying for a visa. If you proceed without their approval, your application will be denied.
  3. Once the petition is approved, complete an online application with the necessary documents like your passport, travel, and work papers. To submit your application, click the “sign application” button, then “submit.” Print the confirmation page, as you will need it for your interview.
  4. Moreover, you will have to interview with the US embassy or consulate. This is to verify that you qualify for the visa. They will collect your visa application fee, review your original documents, take your biometrics, and confirm or deny your application.
  5. Once approved, you can return a few weeks later to pick up your visa.

Green Card

A green card is a document that gives a foreign worker the authorization to live and work in the United States permanently. There’s an annual green card lottery program, the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program. It provides foreign nationals with the opportunity to obtain permanent residency. The program randomly selects applicants and distributes approximately 50,000 green cards annually.

Besides the green card lottery program, you can also obtain permanent residency if you already work with a temporary visa in the US. You will have to apply for a green card. It allows you to stay in the US without renewing your visa. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Your employer must fill in an I-140 form (an immigration petition).
  2. Employers receive a notice from USCIS with your priority date when they file an immigration petition. The priority date determines your application date. If you apply earlier than the date, your application will be denied.
  3. Then, you will have to get a medical exam. This is to verify that you are in good physical and mental health.
  4. Please fill out your application (form I-485), which you can download from the USCIS website and fill it out.
  5. Then, apply once you are done. You will have to make a copy of the requested official documents and submit them according to the instructions provided on the USCIS website.
  6. Attend the interview. Meanwhile, it would be best to give your biometrics (fingerprints, signatures, and photos). This is to verify the information you provided on your application.

Once you have your visa or green card, you will need a Social Security Number to work in the US.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.