Verification: 7c860de3b222a547
Knowledge is a Basic Human Right


Work Permit Visa in UK: How to apply and get UK work visa for all Foreigners


We all know the UK and the amazing things we can benefit from studying in the UK, most foreigners would not think twice if they see an opportunity to go for a work permit visa in the UK. Your right to work in the UK depends on where you travel from as well as what type of work you want to do. You might need a UK work visa as well as a job offer in order to take up employment. in the country. The UK is one of the World’s most popular immigration destinations for people wishing to live and work in a new country. A Work Permit is usually needed for workers who are coming to the UK as a result of having already secured a formal offer of work from an eligible UK company.

Work Permit Visa in the UK

UK government has made a series of changes to UK immigration law in order to restrict immigration to the UK, especially from outside of the EEA.


However, the UK immigration system is restrictive following the EU referendum result of 23 June 2016 and the decision to leave the EU further changes will be through the UK visa system.

You need to come under the UK tier points-based visa system which measures applicants against various criteria to assess their eligibility.

Most work visa applications such as the Tier 2 visa scheme, as well as Tier 4 study visa applications, will be through this system.

Taking up a Work Permit Visa in the UK

There are many different types of Work Visa that can allow you to successfully take up work in the UK or you wish to use working in the UK.

The type of UK Work Permit or Work Visa which is best for you will depend on a variety of factors such as your profession, the demand for your chosen role, and the length of time.

In order to work in the UK, you will require a UK Working Visa or Work Permit if your country of origin is outside of the European Economic Area.

The application process for a UK visa can be either complex or relatively straightforward depending on the nature of your application.

The UK is a top tourism and study destination country with a highly developed and market-orientated economy, offering jobs to employees and high salaries.

There are a lot of procedures that one needs to complete in order to be able to work in the UK, however, not everybody can just move to the United Kingdom and get a job.

The main component of being able to work in the UK is getting the right kind of work visa, we will discuss more on the various types of UK visas.

okay, Can I work in the UK?

If you’re a citizen of an EU/EFTA country, you have the right to live in the UK and work without a work visa and all non-EU/EFTA citizens need a UK to work visa.

Nationals from some countries are able to enter the UK and stay for up to six months without a visa; in this situation, however, they cannot work.

Is it possible in the UK in a low-skilled position?

There are currently no UK work visas available for low-skilled jobs in the UK for non-EU/EFTA nationals as these positions are filled by UK and EU/EFTA nationals.

However, this can be a result of Brexit if labor shortages emerge, therefore, the plan for this is not yet fully activated.

What does a UK work visa cost?

A Tier 2 (General) visa valid for 3 years currently costs £575. However, you can check your UK work visa costs on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Applying for a Biometric residence permit

As a foreigner, you need to apply for a UK biometric residence permit, citizens from non-EU/EFTA countries who want to stay in the UK longer than six months need to apply for a UK biometric residence permit (BRP). The BRP is valid for the duration of your stay in the UK, up to a maximum of 10 years.

You can apply for a UK biometric residence permit from inside the UK at a post office or a visa premium service center.

Note: Residents can apply for a permanent residence permit or for full UK citizenship after living in the UK for 5 years.

Do I need a work permit for a training placement?

If you want to come to the UK for work experience or to undertake training through an approved exchange scheme, you will need to apply for a Temporary Worker visa under the Government Authorized Exchange route.

Requirements to Obtain a UK Work Visa

The requirements for the United Kingdom working visa vary based on which tier and visa your employees need. However, the requirements vary by type of work permit:

  • Proof of accommodation.
  • Detailed travel itinerary.
  • Tuberculosis test results.
  • Biometric information.
  • An application form.
  • Two-color photographs were taken within the past six months.
  • A valid passport.
  • Proof of financial means to cover UK living costs.
  • A visa invitation letter if the individual is staying with a friend or family member.
  • Paid UK visa fees.
  • Certified translations of any document that’s not in English or Welsh.

UK Work Visa Types for all Foreigners

The UK Employment Visas is categorized into 4 main groups, as follows:

  • Short-term work visas.
  • Long-term work visas.
  • Investor, business development, and talent visas.
  • Alternative work visas.

Short-term work visas for the UK

The main categories of these visas, also known as the UK Temporary Workers Visas, are as follows:

  • UK Government Authorized Exchange visa (Tier 5): You can apply for this visa if you want to come to the UK for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Program, research, or a fellowship through an approved government authorized exchange scheme.
  • The UK International Agreement visa (Tier 5): This visa is for persons who are contracted to work for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household in the UK.
  • UK Religious Worker visa (Tier 5): If you want to move to the UK for a short term in order to do religious work, such as preaching or working in a religious order, you can apply for this visa.
  • The UK Charity Worker visa (Tier 5): Persons who want to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity in the UK can apply for this visa. You will need a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer.
  • UK Creative and Sporting visa (Tier 5): For Persons who have been offered work in the UK as a sportsperson or creative worker can apply for this visa. The main criteria include the possession of a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer in the UK.
  • The UK Seasonal Worker Visa (Tier 5): You can apply for a Seasonal work visa is you want to travel to the UK and do farm work for up to 6 months.
  • UK Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5): A visa for persons who have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries, between the age of 18 to 30.

Long-term work visas for the UK

The main categories of the UK long-term work visas are as follows:

  • Tier 2 UK Intra-company Transfer visa: Persons whose overseas employer has offered a role in a UK branch of the organization can apply for this UK work visa.
  • The Tier 2 UK Minister of Religion visa: A visa for non-EEA and Switzerland nationals who have been offered a job in the UK within a faith community.
  • Tier 2 General UK work visa: This visa is for persons from outside the EEA and Switzerland who have gotten a job offer in the UK. The applicant must be employed by a licensed sponsor in order to be able to apply.
  • Tier 2 UK Sportsperson visa: Elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who has been recognized by their sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of their profession internationally, can apply for this visa.

Investor, business development, and talent visas

There are several UK visa types for these categories, as listed below:

  • UK Global Talent Visa: Persons who work in a qualifying field and recognize as a leader or emerging leaders, can apply for this visa.
  • The UK Graduate Entrepreneur visa (Tier 1): Graduates officially endorsed having a genuine and credible business idea should apply for this UK work visa.
  • UK Innovator visa: This is a visa for foreigners who want to set up or run a business in the UK.
  • The UK Start-up visa: This is a visa for persons who want to set up a business in the United Kingdom. Endorsement by an authorized body is a must.
  • UK Investor visa (Tier 1): This is a visa for investors that want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK.

Alternative Types of UK Work Visas

Other United Kingdom work visas are as follows:

  • Representative of an Overseas Business UK visa: You can apply for this visa if you are the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly-owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company.
  • Turkish Businessperson UK visa: This visa is for Turkish nationals who want to move to the UK to start a new business or to help run an already established business.
  • UK Ancestry visa: You can apply for this visa, which permits you to get a job in the UK if you are a Commonwealth citizen applying from outside the UK. You must prove that at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK.
  • Domestic Workers in a Private Household UK visa: Domestic workers in a private household that wish to visit the UK with their employer can apply for this visa.
  • Turkish Worker UK visa: This visa is for Turkish nationals who have worked in the UK for at least one year as the spouse of a Briton or a settled person.

How to apply for a UK work permit

Note: To apply for a UK work permit, you will need to submit an online application and provide your supporting documentation to prove your eligibility.

The documentation in support of your application will vary depending on the category of visa that you require. Therefore the documents could include:

  • Proof of your personal savings, where applicable
  • The Proof of your investment funds, where applicable
  • Your tuberculosis test results if you are from a listed country
  • A current passport or other travel documents to prove you can travel
  • Expired passports or travel documents to show your travel history
  • Proof of your knowledge of English, where applicable
  • A criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, where you are planning to work with vulnerable people.

Comments are closed.