Work Permit in Canada: Types of Work Permits and How to Apply
Are a foreigner looking to work in Canada? However, you are going to need a work permit in Canada in order to work legally. The Canadian work permit allows you to take a job offer within the country if you are from a foreign country. Every year, over 180,000 foreigners come to work in the country by applying for a Canadian work permit.
Moreover, Canada with its stable and diverse economy serves as a good destination for foreigners that looking for employment opportunities. However, most foreigners will need a work permit in Canada to be able to work legally in the country. But there are a few exceptions to foreigners that need a work permit. Therefore, in this article, we will provide information in detail on what a work permit in Canada means, its types, eligibility requirements, how to apply, and other important information in regards to work permits in Canada.
Understanding Work Permit in Canada
A work permit is what gives the permission to take a job within a country that you are foreign to or does not permanently reside in. Therefore, a work permit in Canada means the permission to take a job within Canada if you are from a foreign country. However, there are few exceptions but most foreigners looking to enter the country for employment opportunities will require a work permit. You can find out if you need a work permit, as in most cases you can work without a job offer or permit in Canada.
Moreover, working in Canada is a good first step if you seek to immigrate permanently to the country. Probably, you may be eligible to get a permanent residence if you work in the country with a valid work permit for one year or more. Furthermore, there are certain benefits one can enjoy from getting a work permit in Canada. The wages paid in Canada are very competitive and foreign employees are offered wages that are equivalent to their Canadian counterparts.
Also, there are certain laws and regulations that ensure that workplaces are safe. Employers must follow these laws to ensure the safety of their workers or employees. Moreover, work permits in Canada also allows you to take your spouse and children to the country.
Work Permit in Singapore: Guide on How to Get Work Permit Visa in Singapore
Types of Work Permits in Canada
However, there are two specific types of work permits in Canada: open work permits and employer-specific work permit. Let’s take a look at the brief explanation of each type.
1. Employer-specific Work Permits:
An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit. The conditions may include:
- the name of the specific employer you can work for
- how long you can work
- the location where you can work (if applicable)
However, before you submit your application for an employer-specific work permit. The employer who wants to give you a job offer in Canada must complete certain steps and give you a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number to include in your work permit application.
2. Open Work Permit:
An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific. It lets you work for any employer in Canada, with exception to those that:
- is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or
- regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
Moreover, you can only receive an open work permit in specific situations. Also, since the open work permit is not job-specific, you will need the following when you apply for your work permit:
- a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada, or
- proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
However, the process of get a work permit in Canada varies depending on the type you are applying for. But below are the general requirements for obtaining a Canadian work permit. Therefore, you must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a work permit in Canada:
- You must prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permits expires
- show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (you might be asked to provide a police clearance certificate)
- not be a danger to Canada’s security
- be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions
- not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages; and
- give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Canadian Internship Programs: Top Internship Jobs in Canada for International Students
How to Apply for Work Permit in Canada
However, most applicants now need to apply online for a work permit due to COVID-19. Here are the guidelines for the online application of work permit in Canada:
- Firstly, you will need a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents. You will also need a valid credit or debit card
- Moreover, ensure to read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
- Then, you will have to answer some questions before you can upload your forms. Your answers will be used to create a personalized document checklist for you
- At the end of your application, you will be asked to pay a fee for the work permit which is $155. Most times, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
- You will need to create an online account for your application. The account will be used to pay your fees, submit your application, and check your status. Click here to create an account.
However, your application will be processed to ensure that you have all the necessary documents required. Including your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) which you will need to give at your local visa application center. Also, your application will be returned without processing if it’s incomplete.
During the processing of your application, the officer will check the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions to make sure that the employer can hire you. The officer also checks that you qualify for a work permit. Moreover, you might be asked to go to an interview with our officials in your country, or send more information.
Furthermore, if your work permit application is approved you will get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. This letter is called the port of entry letter of introduction. This letter is not your work permit , you should bring it with you when you travel to Canada and present it at the port of entry where you will get your work permit the day you arrive. In addition, your work permit will outline the following information:
- the type of work you can do
- the employer you can work for
- where you can work
- how long you can work
In conclusion, you will need to apply for a work permit from the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or at a Canadian visa office before travelling to Canada. Ensure to read the instruction guide before you complete you application. Click here for further information on the requirements and application instructions for work permit in Canada.
Comments are closed.