Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program 2022 for International Students
Another amazing scholarship on offer to international students who are seeking to pursue their academic studies abroad. This is a great opportunity for you if you have been dreaming to pursue your postgraduate studies in Ireland on a scholarship. Applications for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program are currently open to international students who wish to pursue their studies in the country.
Moreover, the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the program are recognized as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders. However, in this article, we will provide information in detail about the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program, its eligibility requirements, scholarship benefits, how to apply, and any other important information pertaining to the scholarship program.
About The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation, and Science, and managed by the Council. Moreover, the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem.
However, the scholarship program features individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant; an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review; funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
Moreover, pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed. Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognized that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools, and perspectives from two or more disciplines.
Furthermore, here’s an overview of the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program 2022.
Government of Ireland
Institutions in Ireland eligible to host a postgraduate
Full funding scholarships
Scholarship/ Study Level:
Postgraduate (Masters/ PhD)
Field(s) of Study:
Funding is available for full-time master or doctorate degree across all disciplines
Scholarship Value/ Worth:
See the scholarship benefits section below for details
Number of Awards:
Applications are open to international students of all nationalities
However, the scholarship may be for:
- the final year of an undergraduate program;
- one year of a taught masters degree program or;
- one year of a research program (i.e. one year of a 2-year research master’s or a 3-4 year Ph.D. program).
21 October 2021 16:00 (Irish time)
Moreover, the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program provides the recipients with the following inclusions.
- a stipend of €18,500 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
However, a number of government departments and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program as a mechanism to deliver on shared national objectives. The Irish Research Council’s strategic funding partners for 2022 are as follows:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration, and Youth
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Met Éireann
Eligibility Requirements For The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
Furthermore, you must meet the following criteria below in order to be eligible for the scholarship program. Potential applicants should carefully ascertain whether or not they are eligible in advance of applying to either program. However, the
- All applicants will be required to complete and pass an eligibility quiz on the online application system prior to accessing an application form.
- There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either program type.
- All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research performing organization.
- Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language
- Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant program, including strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
- All applicants must have a first-class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s, or
the equivalent, degree. If undergraduate examination results are not known at the time of application, the Irish Research Council may make a provisional offer of a scholarship on condition that the scholar’s bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree result is a first-class or upper second-class honors. If the applicant does not have a first-class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s, or the equivalent, degree, they must possess a master’s degree. The Irish Research Council’s determination of an applicant’s eligibility on these criteria is final.
- Applicants for a research master’s degree must not currently hold or have
previously held an Irish Research Council scholarship.
- Applicants for a doctoral degree must not currently hold, or have previously held,
any Irish Research Council scholarship other than one which would have enabled
them to obtain a research master’s degree
Click here for more details on the eligibility requirements for the scholarship program
How to Apply for The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
However, follow the step by step guidelines to apply for the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program
- Firstly, you will have to apply for this scholarship using the program’s online application system.
- Secondly, in order to register as an applicant on the online system for the first time, click here and complete the applicable registration form as prompted.
- Then, once you have filled in the required details, click ‘submit’ at the bottom of the registration page. A confirmation email will automatically be sent to the email address you have provided. This email confirms that you have successfully registered for the online system and will issue you with a username and password.
- Moreover, once you have received your username and password, you should access the online system here using the login details provided.
- Then, when you log into the online system, you will be presented with the ‘home’ screen, where you can create and edit your application prior to the application deadline.
- Furthermore, You can access and edit your application as often as you like prior to the application deadline so long as the application has not been submitted and remains in draft status. To access your application, from the home screen click on the ‘draft applications’ icon, and then on ‘edit
- Please ensure that you click the ‘save draft’ button at the bottom of each page before moving from one tab to the next. If you input information on a tab and switch to another without clicking ‘save draft’, this information will be lost. Do not use the browser ‘back’ button at any stage as you may lose essential information.
Click here for details on the application guidelines for this scholarship
However, in addition to the application instructions, note that the application system is only compatible with the two most recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Also, applicants should not log into their profile or application form in different browsers at the same time. This may cause the system to invalidate your login session and any information you have entered will be lost.
Moreover, the following are documentation requirements for the scholarship application.
- Educational documents
- Study plan/Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal
- Copy of Passport
- Supervision details (if any)
- Recommendation forms
- Language proof (if any)
- Additional documents
Furthermore, the deadline for the scholarship application is on 21 October 2021 at 16:00 (Irish time).
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more details on the requirements and application instructions on the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Program. As information may change or get an update at any moment without notice.