Fully Funded Gates Cambridge Scholarships 2023 in UK for International Students
Here’s another exceptional scholarship on offer to international students who wish to study abroad in 2023. This scholarship offer is an excellent opportunity if you have been dreaming of studying in the United Kingdom at one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Applications for the 2023 entry for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships are currently open to international students who wish to pursue their academic studies at the university.
Moreover, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious and competitive international scholarships globally. It is a fully-funded scholarship for outstanding international students to pursue full-time postgraduate degree courses in any subject at the prestigious University of Cambridge. However, in this article, we will provide information in detail about the Gates Cambridge Scholarships program, the eligibility requirements, scholarship benefits, how to apply, and other important information on the scholarship program.
About The Gates Cambridge Scholarships Program
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships program was established in October 2000 by donating US$210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge. Which is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. To support outstanding graduate students in their academic studies at the University of Cambridge.
However, as we said earlier, the scholarship is among the most prestigious and competitive scholarships globally. Providing 80 full-cost scholarships annually to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. With approximately two-thirds of these awards being offered to Ph.D. students, and approximately 25 awards in the US round and 55 in the International round.
Moreover, the University of Cambridge, on the other hand, is a collegiate research university in Cambridge, UK. The university was founded in 1209 and is the second-oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University of Cambridge consistently tops global and local rankings. It was ranked as the 3rd best University in the world as of 2021, by the QS Ranking, behind MIT and Oxford. Then, it is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the United Kingdom.
Furthermore, the Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
However, here’s an overview of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships.
Gates Cambridge Trust
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Full funding scholarships
Masters and Ph.D. degree
Field(s) of Study:
Ph.D., MSc / MLitt, or one-year postgraduate course offered at the University of Cambridge except for the following:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Number of Awards:
The Gates Cambridge offers about 80 full-cost scholarships annually to outstanding international students
International students from countries outside the United Kingdom
Minimum of £25000 and maximum of £170000. See the scholarship benefits or inclusions section for more details
The scholarship lasts up to the program period:
- Masters programs: 2 years
- Ph.D. programs: 3 years
There are two Gates Cambridge application deadlines: 12 October 2022 (for US citizens resident in the USA) and either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023, depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).
Scholarship Benefits or Inclusions
Moreover, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships provide the recipients with the following inclusions.
The scholarship program covers the total cost of studying at the University of Cambridge, including additional and discretional funding.
- Full tuition fees
- A maintenance allowance
- One single economy airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – For children, no funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your standard maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D. (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as the University Composition Fee should fund these).
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it; you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
However, click here for more details on the scholarship benefits
Eligibility Requirements for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships Program
Furthermore, you must meet the following criteria to qualify for the Gates Cambridge scholarships. You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: Ph.D., MSc/MLitt, the one-year postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge
The other four main criteria for selection are as follows:
- Academic excellence. Which candidates must provide evidence through their transcripts, references, experience, and the potential to succeed in the chosen course
- Reasons for choice, of course. Gates Cambridge seeks Scholars who will have an academically transformative experience at Cambridge, so it is vital that you thoroughly research and justify the course for which you are applying.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others. You will need to provide proof of your previous, current, and future commitment to the societies in which you will live and work.
- Leadership potential. Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate a leadership capacity. You will need to provide proof of leadership experience to date and demonstrate how your leadership skills may affect future careers.
How to Apply
However, follow the step-by-step guidelines below to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships. They are as follows:
Firstly, applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal using this link.
Moreover, to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course, a College place, and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the complete application for admission and funding when reviewing applications.
Then you’ll have to fill the section with the required information, which is as follows:
The admission section:
In this section, you are applying to a specific graduate course and a College place. You will provide the usual details about yourself, your academic background, plans, and suitability for the proposed course.
The funding section: In this section, you can apply for a range of funding offered by the University and associated bodies, including the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, which has its sub-section. When applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A statement that explains in no more than 3000 characters why you’re applying and meet the four main criteria for Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Research proposal for Ph.D. applicants only
- A Gates Cambridge reference, in addition to two academic references for admission
Furthermore, academic merit is the basis of granting the Cambridge award. Also, in addition to the application instructions, there are two Gates Cambridge application deadlines: 13 October 2021 (for US citizens resident in the USA) and early December 2021 or early January 2022, depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more details on the requirements and application instructions for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships.
Comments are closed.