Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarships for International Students
Do you wish to study abroad? Here’s a fantastic opportunity for international students who want to pursue their academic studies in the Netherlands. Applications for the Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarship program are currently open to eligible international students who wish to study at the University.
The Maastricht University (UM) Holland-High Potential Scholarship program offers 24 full scholarships of €30.000 (including tuition fee waiver and a monthly stipend) each academic year for highly talented students from outside the European Union (EU) who have been admitted to a Master’s program at UM. Continue reading to learn more about this exciting scholarship program.
This article will explain everything you need to know about the Maastricht University (UM) Holland-High Potential Scholarship program. From the scholarship benefits to the eligibility requirements, how to apply, and any other important information you need to know about the scholarship program.
About the Maastricht University (UM) Holland-High Potential Scholarship Programme
Maastricht University Scholarship 2022-2023 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. The scholarship offers 24 full scholarships of € 30,000 (including tuition fee waiver and a monthly stipend) each academic year for highly talented students from outside the European Union (EU) who have been admitted to a master’s program at UM. This scholarship is available for masters studies and provides the recipient with € 23,750 living expenses, € 700 health & liability insurance, € 192 visa application costs, and € 16,800 tuition fees.
This scholarship is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science in partnership with Dutch universities and applied science universities. The Scholarship program consists of the High Potential Scholarship (funded by the Maastricht University Scholarship Fund) and the Holland Scholarship, which the Dutch Ministry of Education finances, Culture and Science in conjunction with Dutch universities and universities of applied sciences. It is aimed at international students outside the EU/EEA who wish to follow a complete degree program in the Netherlands.
About the University
Maastricht University is a public research university in Maastricht, Netherlands. Founded in 1976, it is the second youngest of thirteen Dutch universities. Maastricht University is the most international university in the Netherlands and, with more than 20,000 students and 4,400 employees, is still growing. The university distinguishes itself with its innovative education model, international character, and multidisciplinary approach to research and education.
In 2021, 22,383 students studied at Maastricht University, 56% foreign students, with over 4,000 employees. About half of the bachelor’s programs are fully offered in English, while the other half is taught wholly or partly in Dutch. Most of the master’s and doctoral programs are in English. Maastricht University belongs to the top 150 universities worldwide and the top 100 universities in Europe.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities 2021: 201 (Global) 78 (Europe)
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022: 127 (Global) 53 (Europe)
- QS World University Rankings 2022: 233 (Global) 113 (Europe)
Furthermore, here’s an overview of the Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarship program
Field(s) of Study:
List of participating Master’s programs under this scholarship program. The updated list will be available on the official website shortly.
Up to €29,000 per year. See the scholarship benefits section below for details.
Number of Awards:
24 full scholarships
International students from countries outside the EU/EEA
- 13 months for a one-year master’s program
- 25 months for a two-year master’s program
1st February 2023 (Annual)
Maastricht University will provide the Holland-High Potential Scholarship recipients with the following inclusions.
The scholarship covers living expenses (€12,350 – 13 months; €23,750 – 25 months), health and liability insurance (€700), visa application costs (€207), tuition fee (at cost), and pre-academic training costs.
The High Potential scholarship is awarded for the duration of the Master’s program – 13 months for a one-year master’s program and 25 months for a two-year master’s program.
Eligibility Requirements for the Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarship program
Moreover, applicants must meet the following criteria below to be eligible to apply for the scholarship program.
- You hold nationality in a country outside the EU/EEA, Switzerland, or Surinam and meet the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and residence permit for the Netherlands.
- You do not hold a double nationality from an EU/EEA country.
- You have applied for admission to a participating full-time master’s program at Maastricht University for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- You meet the admission requirements of the UM master program to which you have applied.
- You have never participated in a degree-seeking higher education program in the Netherlands.
- Students who have completed exchange programs in the Netherlands are welcome to apply.
You are not older than 35 years of age on 1 September 2023.
- You have obtained excellent results during your prior education programs, as demonstrated by your latest grade transcript or certified by academic excellence. If several applicants are equally qualified, UM will prefer applicants whose academic transcript or certified letter of academic excellence demonstrates that they are among the top 5% of the 2023-2024 scholarship program applicants.
How to Apply
Meanwhile, you can follow the step-by-step guide below to apply for the Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarship program.
- Register for one of the participating Master’s programs at Maastricht University. Please see your prospective program’s webpage for further details on registering for a Master’s program at UM. Once you have submitted your application via Studielink, you will receive a student ID number for Maastricht University. You will need a student number to complete and submit the Scholarship Application Form (see Step 2 below).
- Please fill in the application forms (available on the official page) and upload the following required documents:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of motivation.
- Proof of academic excellence.
- The contact details of one referee.
- You will have to contact the referee you provided in your application form and ask them to submit their reference letter via email to [email protected] before the deadline.
You must then fill in the application form, upload the required documents, and submit your application online. The application deadline is 1 February 2023.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website of the scholarship provider using the link below for more detailed information on the eligibility requirements and application instructions for the Maastricht University Holland-High Potential Scholarship program.