Fulbright Foreign Student Program in USA
Do you wish to study abroad? Are you a graduate student looking to forward or conduct your doctoral research in the United States? Here is a golden opportunity as the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is currently open for application to study tuition-free in the US.
This article offers complete information on how to apply, benefits, eligibility requirements, and every other guide or information you need regarding the Fulbright Foreign Student Program. Below is the step-by-step guideline we will be discussing regarding the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
About the Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program is funded by the US Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York. It enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists, from foreign countries to study and conduct research at US universities or other academic institutions in the United States.
Moreover, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program awards approximately 4,000 international students every year. The program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide, thereby admitting foreign students from across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe, North and South America, and more each year.
Furthermore, here is an overview of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program;
United States Government
Partner universities and academic institutions in the United States of America.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program offers fully-funded scholarships.
The Fulbright Program is for master’s, Ph.D., and non-degree postgraduate studies.
Field(s) of Study:
The program encourages applications from all fields, including interdisciplinary ones.
See the scholarship benefits section below for details
Number of Awards:
Approximately 4,000 international students receive scholarships each year through the Fulbright Program.
International students from 155 countries around the world
Varies, Feb – Oct 2023, however, the course starts 2024-2025
Moreover, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program provides the scholarship recipients with the following inclusions:
The grant for the scholarship covers the candidate’s tuition fee, round-trip airfare to the United States of America, monthly living stipend, housing allowance, textbooks/supplies allowance, computer allowance, and health insurance.
Furthermore, the Fulbright Foreign Students Program provides scholarship funding throughout the duration of the candidate’s study.
General Eligibility Requirements For Fulbright Foreign Student Program
However, applicants must meet the following criteria below to be eligible to apply for the scholarship program
- Students all over the globe can be eligible to apply for the Fulbright scholarship program, but eligibility and selection procedures differ widely by country. Therefore, it is important to refer to the official website of the scholarship provider to find information about the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in your home country, including eligibility requirements and application instructions.
- If your country is not on the list, then you are not eligible to apply.
However, here are the general eligibility requirements for the Fulbright Program;
- Primarily, you must have completed undergraduate education and hold a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree to be able to apply for the Fulbright scholarship program.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and a high level of English proficiency.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the US.
How to Apply
Furthermore, prospective applicants can follow the step-by-step guide below to apply for the scholarship program
Administration and processing of the Fulbright scholarship program are done by Us Embassies or bi-national Fulbright Commissions/Foundations. Therefore, applications must be through the Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or US Embassy in their home countries. Below are the steps by step application procedure for the Fulbright scholarship program;
- Apply Online: Applicants must fill out the application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online. However, a complete application includes;
- Provide Academic Transcripts and Degrees: All transcripts and degrees from your 4-year undergraduate degree or programs equivalent to it( three-year bachelor programs, ACCA- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants). However, Ph.D. applicants must also submit their MS degrees and transcripts.
- TOEFL and GRE General Test: TOEFL is not required during the application submissions, therefore it is only needed if you are called for an interview which is when you will take the exam. GRE general test scores are required at the time of application. The minimum GRE score for applying is 138/136 for verbal and quantitative respectively. But accepted applicants have higher percentiles of GRE scores.
- Three Academic and Professional References/Recommendation Letters: 3 recommendation letters will be submitted with your application. You can have 2 academic and 1 professional reference letter or vice versa, but either way 1 academic reference letter is compulsory. Your referees can be former employer, teacher, or researcher who knows you well enough.
- Provide Academic Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV): A complete and up-to-date CV should be attached to the space provided on the application form.
- Interview: After submitting your application, you may receive an invitation to a panel interview after the review. The invitation indicates your selection, but it does not guarantee your admission.
Additional Notes On The Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The application deadline for Fulbright Scholarship Program varies by country, it’s usually between Feb – Oct 2023 annually. The Institute of International Education (IIE) arranges academic placement positions for most Fulbright nominees and supervises candidates during their stay in the United States of America. The Fulbright scholarship program is very competitive, especially in fields like business administration, journalism, communication, most sciences, and engineering-related disciplines. It is important to visit the official website with the link found below and the country-specific websites for more detailed information on how to apply for the Fulbright scholarship program.
In conclusion, please refer to the official website using the link below for more details on the eligibility criteria and how to apply for the Fulbright Foreign Students Program.