Fully Funded Scholarships to Study in Canada Without IELTS 2022
Study in Canada Without IELTS: Are you planning to study abroad in an English-speaking country or any of the top study destinations like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia? Then, you should be familiar with the terms IELTS, PTE, TOFEL, etc. Which will be required for admission and visa procedures. Moreover, these English proficiency tests examine your ability to speak, comprehend, and articulate in the English language.
However, as an aspiring international student, you will know that without these test scores, your admission to a foreign university and a student vis might be difficult. Amongst these language proficiency exams, IELTS is globally recognized and widely accepted by major English-speaking countries especially, the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, amongst others.
Most especially for those planning to study in Canada, a wide range of academic institutions require IELTS scores for admission into their prospective program. But, what if, you can study in Canada without IELTS? There are several universities and colleges in Canada which offer admission without IELTS. Moreover, some of the universities also apply an IELTS waiver for international students.
Then, how do you go to Canada without IELTS? This article provides you with a detailed guide on how to study in Canada without IELTS from the top universities. We will also be listing top Canadian scholarships to apply for in 2022.
Study in Canada Without IELTS
IELTS (the International English Language Testing System) is a globally standardized language assessment exam used by universities to assess the language skills of potential international students. The IELTS is divided into four sections; reading, writing, listening and speaking. Upon finishing the three-hour test, students will get an overall score for all of their basic English language skills.
Moreover, exams like the IELTS are used to assess your language abilities in English-speaking nations such as Canada. However, this isn’t always the case. It is also possible to study in Canada without taking the IELTS exam. Continue reading to learn more about studying in Canada without IELTS.
Is it Possible to Study in Canada Without IELTS?
This is the most common question that arises when it comes to studying in Canada. But the answer is yes. There are a few other likely options and alternative English language tests available. That is acceptable in place of IELTS in some Canadian Universities. However, Canadian Universities adopt varied factors to assess the English language proficiency of the candidates seeking admission.
Therefore, it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS. Given that you qualify for the alternative language proficiency requirements specified by your chosen university. Moreover, most Canadian Universities also ask candidates to provide a Letter of Recommendation (LOR) from any of their previous academic institutions.
Furthermore, several international students from select nationalities are also authorized exemptions from providing English language proficiency scores. Again, just as we mentioned above, academic institutions in Canada also accept English language proficiency tests other than the IELTS. Which you can submit during the admission process.
Alternatives to Studying in Canada Without IELTS
We have confirmed that it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS. However, the universities in Canada without IELTS or even, Canada student visa without IELTS is achievable with an alternative. Here are the best alternatives specified by universities for those planning to study in Canada without IELTS:
- Exception: The candidates from an English-speaking country are also exempted from providing IELTS scores in Canada.
- English Medium Certificate: You can submit proof that you have studied in an English medium school for at least 4 years as the replacement for English proficiency scores.
- Alternative English Tests: You can provide scores of other English Proficiency tests like TOEFL, Duolingo English Test, and PTE.
- Course Exemption: International students can also opt for the English language course offered by the university for those who are unable to provide English proficiency scores.
Scholarships to Study in Canada Without IELTS
Moreover, is the list of Canadian scholarships to study in 2022
McGill University Scholarship
A Full Flagship Fully Funded McCall MacBain Scholarship for your Masters, and Doctoral Degree Programs. McGill University is one of the famous universities in Canada with research and academic excellence. The university has provisions for international students without IELTS if such a student’s mother tongue (language first learned and still used on a daily basis) is English. If such a student has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution where English is the language of instruction. Moreover, if such student has lived and attended university, or been employed, for at least four consecutive years, in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language.
University of Alberta Scholarship
The University of Alberta is among the top 5 Canadian universities located in Edmonton, Alberta, and home to 40,000 students in a wide variety of programs. The University also boasts lucrative scholarships and funding options available to international students. Moreover, the University of Alberta has made provisions for international students without IELTS to be admitted into their programs with the following options:
- Previous education in English as recognized by the University of Alberta.
- Complete the U of A’s Bridging Program.
- Complete certain courses that have been approved by the University of Alberta and achieve a certain minimum grade in that course.
- Also, complete a test of English Language Proficiency and earn the minimum score required by the University.
University of Toronto Scholarships
The University of Toronto is Canada’s top university with a long history of challenging the impossible and transforming society through the ingenuity and resolve of its faculty, students, alumni, and supporters. The University of Toronto has provided conditions for students who do not have proof of English Language proficiency. This is one of the big universities that provide scholarships in Canada without IELTS.
Moreover, if English is not your first language (i.e. is not the first language you learned at home as a child). You will need to provide evidence of an adequate English facility for admission consideration unless you qualify for an exemption.
However, you may qualify for an exemption from the English aptitude requirement if one of the following applies to you:
- You have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in a recognized Canadian school (in Canada) that teaches in English
- You have completed/are completing four or more years of full-time academic study in an English language school located in a country where the dominant language is English
- Your first language is French and you have completed four or more years of full-time academic study at a Canadian school.
Queen’s University Scholarships
Queen’s University is home to thousands of international students studying for undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in Canada. The University provides funding resources to international students with excellent academic credentials. International students without IELTS are to take advantage of this opportunity and be trained in one of the reputable universities in Canada as the following exemptions have been made:
- Students who have lived in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language for the most recent three years prior to beginning their university studies or
- Students who attended an educational institution full-time. Where the medium of instruction is English for the most recent three years prior to beginning their university studies
University of Waterloo Scholarships
University of Waterloo, Canada is known for its interest in supporting innovation to solve problems on a global scale. Located on the Haldimand Tract, the University is home to more than 42,000+ students with a global network spanning more than 220,000 alumni in 151 countries. Waterloo is #1 in Canada for experiential learning and employer-student connections. The University provides several scholarship opportunities for international students. The following exemptions are provided for students not having IELTS or other English Language proficiency certificates:
- You have completed three or more years of post-secondary education or completed a graduate degree in an exempt country. or
- You have been employed for at least three years in a position in which English was the language of business in an exempt country. or
- Also, you have completed three or more years of post-secondary education or completed a graduate degree at a university where English is listed as the only language of instruction on the International Association of Universities World Higher Education Database (WHED).
University of Montreal Scholarships
With its roots in Montreal and its eyes on the international horizon. The Université de Montréal (UdeM) is one of the world’s leading research universities. UdeM also offers a world-class education in all fields of study and places great emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches. Here, you have everything you need for an enriching international experience that will open you to new horizons.
Moreover, the requirements for study in the University include a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), a study permit, and in some cases, a visitor visa from the Government of Canada. The University has several scholarships to support international students in their academic pursuits. For example, the UdeM exemption scholarship program is designed to support international candidates in their university studies.
- Australia Awards Scholarships
- Fully Funded Rotary Peace Fellowships 2023
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program in the USA
- University of New South Wales International Scholarships to Study in Australia 2022/23
- DAAD Scholarship 2022/23 Fully Funded Scholarship in Germany
- Griffith Remarkable Scholarships in Australia 2022-23
Canada Student Visa Without IELTS
International students who wish to study in Canada without IELTS can apply to Canadian universities. Foreign students aspiring to study in Canada usually require their IELTS score during immigration.
However, according to the new regulations. International students will have to confirm their admission to a Canadian University to be qualified for a student visa.
Therefore, those applying to Canadian universities without IELTS can get a student visa by submitting scores of tests like the Duolingo English Test or other alternative English tests like TOEFL iBT and CAEL. For the Canadian immigration process, candidates are required to submit scores of IELTS General or CELPIP.
In conclusion, the answer to the question “can I study in Canada without IELTS” is yes, you definitely can. Therefore, as an international student passionate about studying in a Canadian university. IELTS test score should not be a barrier or setback for you not to apply for studies in Canada as there are several options available for those without IELTS certification. However, it is recommended that you skip taking the IELTS only if you are ready to meet other requirements.